Currently Reading: Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
My learning objectives (with corresponding tasks) for my internship this semester in Norman Public Schools:
Objective 1: Implement instruction that reflects 21st-century skills based on student interests and needs.
- Recognize the instructional strategies presented by Marzano, and review strategies for guided inquiry as presented by Kulhthau
- Use a variety of digital instruction tools and strategies
Objective 2: Identify the role each librarian plays in supporting curriculum and developing other teachers professionally.
- Identify and apply AASL’s Standards for the 21st-Century Learner
Objective 3: Incorporate multiple literacies into classroom and library activities
- Read two books for children and teens per month from the fantasy and science fiction genres to gain familiarity and understanding of topics and themes
Objective 4: Assess and demonstrate ways to accommodate varied student information needs before and during library instruction.
- Recognize how each library media specialist promotes equitable and ethical access to print, digital, and virtual resources
- Identify and demonstrate awareness of current and emerging technologies each librarian has used or plans to use in library and classroom instruction
Objective 5: Recognize how each library media specialist co-plans, co-teaches, and co-assesses in preparation and presentation of classroom instruction
- Shadow librarian(s) at each location as they co-plan and co-teach with teachers
Objective 6: Identify the school district’s methods for cataloging and classifying library materials
- Identify professional selection tools and criteria used to select library materials
- Process and prepare materials for library shelves according to current classification standards
Objective 7: Evaluate ways to distribute physical, human, and fiscal resources of each location to best meet the needs of the library users
- Assess how materials enhance instruction and meet the interests and needs of students and teachers at each location
- Read Norman Public School District’s library collection development policy
Objective 8: Compare and contrast elementary, middle school, and high school library media specialist roles and responsibilities and evaluate future interest in four different job situations
- Write a reflective essay at the end of the semester analyzing the similarities and differences between the various locations